After eight years of trying, Daniel Bowker made his senior international Australian debut during the 2016 Oceania Championships. Now in the very same year he will make his Olympic debut in Rio as part of the formidable Australian kayak team.
Bowker excelled across the Olympic selection trials. He finished just behind Olympic medallists Murray Stewart, Kenny Wallace, Jacob Clear and under 23 world championship medallist Jordan Wood in the K1 1000m.
Previously a surf lifesaver, Bowker was inspired to try his hand at kayaking during the 2008 Beijing Games. He moved from Perth to the Gold Coast after the Nationals in 2013 to be surrounded by the best paddlers in Australia, and that commitment paid off.
Out of the water, Bowker in a self-employed electrical contractor.
He lives with Olympic triathlon medallist Emma Moffatt. He attributes his happy home life as a reason for his improvement in the sport.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Canoe/Kayak - Sprint
K2 200m Men
Perth, WA, Australia
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 5th (K1 1000) – 2016 National Sprint Championships (Perth, Australia)
- 5th (K1 1000) – 2016 Oceania Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 5th (K1 1000) – 2015 Grand Prix 2 (Penrith, Australia)
- 8th (K1 1000) – 2015 National Championships (Penrith, Australia)
- 3rd (K2 1000) – 2015 National Championships (Penrith, Australia)
- Earning Rio 2016 Olympic Selection at the National Kayak Championships in Perth, 2016. My performance at the Trial events got me on to my first senior Australian Team.
- Creaney Primary School, Perth, WA)
- Woodvale Senior High School, Perth, WA)
Ramon Andersson (2008-2013), Anders Gustafsson (2013-2015), Jimmy Owens (2013-current)
Primary Training Base
Gold Coast, Australia
- Favourite food
- Baked Salmon
- Favourite holiday destination
- Woolgoolga, NSW
- Favourite music
- Milky Chance, Ball Park Music, The Rubens, Powderfinger, Vampire Weekend, Chet Faker, Kings of Leon, Miike Snow, Mark Ronson, Macklemore
- Dream car
- Audi Q7
- Personal Motto
- Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A coffee and a scratchie
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Road Cycling
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- London 2012 Mens K4 1000m
- First Olympic Memory?
- Barcelona 1992 Opening Ceremony
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Career: Emma Moffatt. Life: My Dad
- Why this sport?
- It seemed like a natural progression from surf ski paddling