Daniel Beale will join five other Olympic debutants in the 2016 men’s hockey Team after a stellar performance at the recent Champion’s Trophy earned him Olympic selection.
Beale’s hockey career began in 1996 at the Bulimba Hockey club in Brisbane, where he entire family played. A move to the Commercial Hockey Club in Queensland then facilitated his eventual selection in the Kookaburras squad in Perth.
The 23-year-old captained the Australian U21 men’s team at the 2013 Junior World Cup and in the same season made the move up to the senior team. Despite a serious back injury and a month of recovery, the youngster was presented with his senior green and gold jersey for the 2014 World League Finals, before being made a full member of the national squad shortly after.
Beale will have the opportunity to play alongside teammates, Jamie Dwyer and Mark Knowles at the Rio Olympics who were part his inspiration to play hockey at the Olympic Games. He cites the 2004 Olympic gold medal winning Australian team in Athens as reason he wanted to become a player and recalls watching and cheering them on the television as a child.
Off the pitch, Beale is a construction management student who expects to graduate in 2016, despite the heavy Olympic training schedule. Beale is also a golf fan and lover of Perth’s beaches and works behind the scenes for his hockey sponsor, packing orders and receiving stock.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 2010 Singapore - 1st Mens Hockey
- 1st – 2016 Champions Trophy (London, England)
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st – 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belguim)
- 3rd – 2014 Champions Trophy (Bhubaneswar, India)
- 1st – 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Commonwealth Games Gold Medal 2014
- Singapore Youth Olympic Games Gold Medal 2010
- Morningside State School
- Mt Gravatt State High School
Graham Reid 2015 - Current
Commercial Hockey Club, Brisbane; University of Western Australia, Perth
Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
Perth Hockey Stadium, Perth
- Favourite food
- Breakfast food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Triple J
- Dream car
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- 2004 Mens Hockey Team Olympic Gold
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2000 Sydney Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?