Chris Ciriello will make his second Olympic appearance at Rio, hoping to add a gold medal to his London bronze.
Known by his teammates as the ‘Big Dog’ or ‘Italian Stallion’, Ciriello picked up his first hockey stick at just four-years-old having been born into a hockey family, with his grandfather playing for India before moving to Australia.
With his powerful drag flick, Ciriello has been an ever-present force on the Australian team since his international debut in 2008 and has never finished lower than third place during his eight years on the team. The Melbournian has won gold medals at two Commonwealth Games, two Championships Trophies and one World Cup during his career.
Ciriello sealed Australia a gold medal over the home-town Dutch favourites at the 2015 World League semi-final, scoring the only goal of the final, seconds before the buzzer. Ciriello also recently helped the green and gold side to claim their 14th Champions Trophy.
Outside of hockey, Ciriello enjoys time with wife, Heidi and has a passion for personal training. He has developed his own business designing programs for clients outside of his hockey commitments and shares his passion with his siblings who are also all PTs.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
The Big Dog
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- 2012 London - 3rd (hockey)
- 1st – 2016 Champions Trophy (London, England)
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st - 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 3rd – 2014 Champions Trophy (Bhubaneswar, India)
- 1st - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Winning World Cup. 2014 with 3 goals in the final.
- Winning two commonwealth games gold. 3 goals in the final in Glasgow 2014.
- Bronze medal at London Olympics.
- Saint Paul Apostle South, Vic Australia.
- Mazenod College, Mulgrave, Vic Australia.
- Personal Trainer and Massure
Hockey.... Grayham Reid 6 years
Wasps Perth, Western Australian. Doncaster, Melbourne, Victoria
Victorian Institute of Sport.
Primary Training Base
Perth Hockey Stadium
- Coffee before games.
- Favourite food
- BBQ Pork
- Favourite holiday destination
- Greece or anywhere with sun and villas.
- Favourite music
- RnB and relaxed chill out music
- Dream car
- Personal Motto
- Treat others the way you would expect to be treated!
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Looking after someone else. The world goes in cycles and there should always be someone else there to look after you.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Boxing or wrestling
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Winning a gold medal.
- First Olympic Memory?
- Being presented our uniform and spending time with Steve Waugh
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Father and Grandfather.
- Why this sport?
- Born into it... never pushed but had the full support of my family and friends.