In 2007, Chloe Esposito made history as the youngest Australian female modern pentathlete to compete at an Olympic qualifier but she missed out on a spot for Beijing.
Four years on and with plenty of experience under her belt Esposito qualified for the 2012 London Olympics where her 7th place finished secured her the best result by an Australian female since the sport was opened to both genders in 2000.
After the 2013 and 2014 seasons were interrupted with foot and shoulder injuries Esposito bounced back to top form in 2015 finishing in the top ten in three world class events prior to the Olympic Qualifier.
Esposito booked her ticket to her second straight Olympic Games after finishing 4th in the Asia/Oceania Championships in Beijing, securing her spot after being the top ranked Oceania athlete. She has been preparing for Rio with altitude training in Mexico in July.
Modern Pentathlon is certainly a family affair for the Espositos. Chloe's father and coach Daniel competed at the 1984 Los Angeles Games, while she will be joined by her younger brother Max in Rio after he also qualified by winning the Asia/Oceania Championships. Her sister Emily is a shooter who competed at the 2010 Youth Olympics in Singapore and 2014 Commonwealth Games.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Camden, NSW, Australia
- London 2012 - Modern Pentathlon - 7th
- 1st - 2016 Central Asian Cup (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan)
- 2nd - 2015 Champion of Champions (Doha, Qatar)
- 8th – 2015 Senior World Championships (Berlin, Germany)
- 3rd – 2015 World Cup Final (Minsk, Belarus)
- 4th - 2015 Asia/Oceania Championships/Olympic Qualifiers (Beijing, China)
- Competing at my debut Olympic Games in London and finishing 7th
- Earning two World Cup podium finishes in 2012 and bronze in WC Final in 2015
- Qualifying for my second Olympic Games where I will compete alongside my younger brother Max
- St Francis Xavier (NSW, Australia)
- Mount St Joseph (NSW, Australia)
Daniel Esposito (2004 - current)
NSW Modern Pentathlon, Sydney, Australia
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Never put new shoes on the table.
- Favourite food
- I love all edible foods
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Anythng - I love a good sing along
- Dream car
- I don't care what I drive as long as it gets me from a to b.
- Personal Motto
- If you can't do it in training, you won't do it in competition.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Lotus tattoo on wrist, and ear piercings.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman's 400m gold medal in Sydney.
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching the 3 day eventing at Sydney 2000
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My father, who is also my coach.
- Why this sport?
- As it is very diverse, and I am training for 5 different sports, not just one.