A stellar 2015 season saw Jaensch claim her maiden open National title in Brisbane with a wind assisted jump of 6.74m. During the 2015/2016 she improved her personal best to 6.70m and alongside new Australian record holder Brooke Stratton produced career best form.
She returned to the sport after a nine-year break in the 2011/2012 season and moved to Brisbane at the end of 2012 to team up with national jumps coach, Gary Bourne.
When she graduated school in 2002 she was the U18 Australian Heptathlon Champion. However she left the sport at 19 after ongoing injury and to focus on her studies in Medical Radiation. She is now a full time diagnostic radiographer for Queensland X-ray.
Born in Adelaide, Chelsea Jaensch started running as a 10-year-old at the Sailsbury Little Athletics Club in SA. Long jump has always been her forte, jumping 5.12m as an 11-year-old and claiming her first national title at 14.
Chelsea has a unique yellow eye colour.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Long Jump Women
Elizabeth Vale, SA, Australia
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd (long jump) – 2016 Australian Athletics Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 11th (long jump) – 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships (Portland, USA)
- 2nd (long jump) – 2016 Perth Track Classic (Perth, Australia)
- 2nd (long jump) – 2016 Canberra Track Classic (Canberra, Australia)
- 1st (long jump) – 2015 Australian Championships (Brisbane, Australia)
- Being Selected for my first Olympics, Rio 2016 after jumping a qualifying distance of 6.70m in Canberra, February 2016.
- Winning the Australian Long Jump Championship 2015, with a distance of 6.74m
- Virginia Primary School
- Trinity College Gawler
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation (2003-2005)
Gary Bourne 2013-2016
QE2 Track Club
Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- must always have coffee, a killer python and banana bread before competition.
- Favourite food
- Pizza. authentic Italian style with sugo, mozzarella, fresh basil, tomato and pancetta.
- Favourite holiday destination
- ooh Europe!!! but also anywhere there's snow. I love to snowboard and adventure.
- Favourite music
- Smooth House and Electronica
- Dream car
- Audi RS7
- Personal Motto
- On and Up!
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- a coffee for me and one to share
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Snowboard Cross
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Kieren Perkins 1500m Freestyle Gold Medal in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. He barely made the final, and swam from lane 8 to win
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Bronwyn Thompson. She's an exceptional Human. Capable of multitasking beyond measure, she's a physiotherapist, mother to 4, Olympian, Commonwealth champion and all round beautiful soul. a very good role model for me who wants to do everything all at once.
- Why this sport?
- I have always loved Athletics, and I love long jump. the split second you're in the air, you feel free, and powerful.