Cate Campbell will line up in Rio as the current world record holder in the 100m freestyle after taking 0.01 off Britta Steffen’s world mark with her 52.06 at the Brisbane Grand Prix on July 2.
As a 16-year-old Campbell, who was born in Malawi, returned from Beijing 2008 with an individual (50m) and relay (4x100m) bronze medals. She almost gave the sport away after she was forced to withdraw from the 2010 Commonwealth Games with a form of chronic fatigue syndrome. She bounced back two years later to line up alongside Alicia Coutts, Brittany Elmslie and Melanie Schlanger to win gold in the London 4 x 100m freestyle relay on the opening night of competition.
In 2013 she was crowned the 100m freestyle World Champion and was a member of the 4 x100m freestyle relay world record breaking team at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.
Training alongside younger sister Bronte, with coach Simon Cusack, they were the first Australian siblings to qualify for the same swimming event (50m) at an Olympic Games in 2012. At the 2015 FINA World Championships in Russia they became the first family in history to stand on the podium together when Campbell placed 3rd in the 100m freestyle event and witnessed her younger sister become a World Champion.
The African born athlete is the eldest of five siblings and moved to Australia in 2001 where she took up competitive swimming. Within six years she was a Youth Olympian and qualified for her first Olympics. Campbell grew up dreaming of being a ballerina, but now wants to have a career in the sports media industry when she hangs up her swimmers. She has a pet pig called Pepper, four chickens and two pet lizards.. She is a massive Harry Potter fan.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Freestyle Women, 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Women, 4 x 100m Medley Relay Women, 50m Freestyle Women
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- 2012 London - 1st (4x100m Freestyle Relay), 13th (50m freestyle) 2008 Beijing - 3rd (50m freestyle); 3rd (4x100m freestyle); 10th (100m freestyle)
- 1st - (50m freestyle and 100m freestyle) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 1st (100m freestyle) - 2016 Australian Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (4 x 100m freestyle), 3rd (100m freestyle), 4th (50m freestyle) - 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 1st (100m freestyle) - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 2nd (50m freestyle) - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Qualifying for first Olympic team in 2008
- Winning a Bronze in the 50m freestyle at the 2008 Olympics
- Winning first World Championship title in the 100m freestyle in Barcelona 2013
- Chapel Hill State School (QLD, Australia)
- Kenmore State High School (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Mass Communications - Queensland University of Technology (2011 - )
Simon Cusack (2001 - current)
Commercial Swimming Club
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Ice cream
- Favourite holiday destination
- New Zealand- I haven't been there yet, but I've always wanted to.
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- 1960 red convertible mustang
- Personal Motto
- Live your fears, realise your dreams, attain your goals
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Pole vault