There will be another friendly sister showdown in Rio after Bronte Campbell qualified for her second Olympic Games in the 50m and 100m freestyle, and the 4x100m freestyle relay.
Campbell upstaged reigning World Champion and older sister Cate at the 2015 FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia in the 100m freestyle event taking home gold. The sisters, trained by Simon Cusack, became the first family to stand on a podium together as individuals in swimming history when Cate placed third behind Sweden’s Sarah Sjostrom.
Bronte also took gold in the 50m freestyle event, putting her name in the record books as the third swimmer in history to take the 50m and 100m freestyle double at a World Championship. Campbell was crowned joint Australian swimmer of the year in 2015 along with Emily Seebohm.
In London, the Campbell siblings were the first Australian sisters to compete in the same event at the same Olympic Games where Bronte finished fourth in her semi-final to miss the final by 0.23 seconds, placing her 10th overall.
The Malawi born athlete is one of five siblings and took up competitive swimming when she moved to Australia in 2001 at age seven. She hopes to follow her passion in sports media after her swimming career.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Freestyle Women, 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Women, 50m Freestyle Women
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- 2012 London - 10th (50m freestyle)
- 2nd (50m freestyle) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2nd (100m freestyle) - 2016 Australian Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (50m freestyle) and 1st (100m freestyle) - 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 1st (4 x 100m freestyle relay) - 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 3rd (50m freestyle), 2nd (100m freestyle) - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- World Championship gold in the 50m and 100m freestyle in Kazan, Russia 2015
- Setting a World Record as part of the women's 4x100m freestyle relay team at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014
- Medalist at Pan Pacific Championships on Gold Coast 2014, Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014 and World Championships in Barcelona 2013.
- Indooroopilly State Primary School (QLD, Australia)
- Kenmore State High School (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Business- Queensland University of Technology (2013-)
Simon Cusack (2001 - current)
Commercial Swim Club
Primary Training Base
- Don't have any
- Favourite food
- Slow roasted lamb
- Favourite holiday destination
- Somewhere warm and sunny and beach-like.
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Audi R8
- Personal Motto
- Meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Probably food.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Grant Hackett 2000 1500m freestyle gold
- First Olympic Memory?
- I remember watching the 2000 Olympics, particularly the swimming.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My coach
- Why this sport?
- I've always loved swimming since I was a kid, and it help that it's pretty much the only sport I'm good at