One of the veterans of the Australia Team, Rio will be Bronte Barratt's third and last Olympics. She will join clubmate Emma McKeon in the women’s 200m freestyle and the 4x200m relay at Rio after finishing second to McKeon at the trials in Adelaide. Barratt was only 0.6 seconds outside of her personal best, hitting the wall in 1:56.34.
The St Peters Western swimmer made her first national Team in 2005 but announced herself as a force two years later when she broke the oldest record in Australian swimming, eclipsing Tracey Wickham's 29-year-old 400m freestyle mark.
Barratt is a three-time Olympic medallist and one of only five swimmers to have been part of the national team for 10 straight years or more. She joined teammates Stephanie Rice, Kylie Palmer and Linda MacKenzie to claim Australia’s first gold medal in the 4 x 200m freestyle relay at the Beijing 2008 Games. At the London Games in 2012 Barratt added to her relay medal with an individual podium finish, a bronze, in the 200m freestyle. She’s contested six world titles and is a six-time Commonwealth Games medallist.
Barratt comes from a strong athletic family, with her grandmother an Olympian in long jump at the Melbourne 1956 Olympic Games.
Barratt’s currently studying Medical Imaging, and has spoken of the Rio Games being her last international competition.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
200m Freestyle Women, 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Women
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 1st (4x200m freestyle relay); 7th (200m freestyle); 7th (400m freestyle) 2012 London - 2nd (4x200m Freestyle relay); 3rd (200m Freestyle); 11th (400m Freestyle)
- 1st - (200m freestyle) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2nd - (200m freestyle) - 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 2nd (200m freestyle) – 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 2nd (200m freestyle) – 2016 NSW Open Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd (200m freestyle)– 2015 Australian Short Course Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- Winning gold in the 4x 200 freestyle relay at the Beijing Olympics
- Winning Bronze in the 200m Freestyle at the London Olympics
- Winning Silver in the 4x200m Freestyle relay at the London Olympics
- Samford State School (QLD, Australia)
- St. Margarets Anglican Girls School (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Medical Imaging (2013 - present)
Michael Bohl (2010 - current)
Primary Training Base
- The number 13
- Favourite food
- Chocolate covered macadamias
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Audi Q7
- Personal Motto
- I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A lotto ticket
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Michael Phelps winning 8 Gold at the Beijing Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching Kieren Perkins win the 1500m at the 1996 Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My Parents
- Why this sport?
- I have always loved the water