Brett Robinson was the first Australian selected in the 5000 metres for Rio after he placed second in the Australian Championships and Olympic trials. His June 2015 Olympic qualifying mark enabled selectors to name him for his Olympic debut, while trials winner Sam McEntee needed to chase a qualifying mark.
Robinson has a very impressive international record. In four world championships he has progressed to the final on three occasions at three different distances. He has made the finals of the 2013 IAAF world championships 5000m, 2016 IAAF world indoor championships and 2010 IAAF world junior championships 1500m. Last year at the IAAF world championships he missed the final by just a few seconds.
After a junior career primarily over 800m and 1500m, he has graduated up the distance to 5000m and competed at the two most recent IAAF world cross country championships in 2013 and 2015, where he finished within the top-30 in the 100 plus sized fields.
Born and schooled in Canberra, Robinson now lives and trains in Melbourne with the Nic Bideau squad.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Florey, ACT, Australia
- Rio will be Olympic debut.
- 14th (5000m) – 2016 Bislett Games (Oslo, Norway)
- 12th (3000m) – 2016 Birmingham Diamond League (Birmingham, Great Britain)
- 2nd (5000m) – 2016 Australian Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 11th (3000m) – 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships (Portland, USA)
- 28th (cross country) – 2015 IAAF World Cross Country Championships (Guiyang, China)
- 2013 World Championships Finalist
- 28th 2015 World Cross Country championships
- St Johns Primary School (ACT, Australia)
- St Francis Xavier College (ACT, Australia)
Nic Bideau 2012-current
Eureka, Ballarat, VIC, Australia
Victorian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
London, United Kingdom and Mt Laguna, USA
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Justin Bieber
- Dream car
- Toyota Camry
- Star Sign
- Ears Pierced 10+ tattoos, i like tattoos
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Watching Jessica Fox win the silver medal in the canoeing
- First Olympic Memory?
- I remember watching the rowing from the 1996 olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Ryan Gregson
- Why this sport?
- I want to be faster than everyone