National record holder Benn Harradine (68.20m, Townsville in 2013) made the discus final at the London 2012 Olympics Games, placing ninth. He was 31st on debut at Beijing 2008 and will be looking to go deep into the top-8 at Rio 2016.
He has competed at four world championships, fifth at the 2011 World Championships (64.77m) his best result. Most recently he was 10th at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing. He threw 66.45m for silver at the Continental Cup in 2010.
Harradine was a finalist at the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games before winning the gold at Delhi 2010. He was looking to defend his title in 2014 but struggled in the wet conditions and finished fourth.
Born and raised in Newcastle, NSW he is a proud Indigenous man from the Watjabaluk/Wergia people of the Wimera. He is coached by his father Ken. Harradine began competing in discus at the age of eight after being told he could not compete in contact sports due to a rare liver condition.
He is one of the real characters of the Australian Athletics Team often wearing themed competition suits. He plays guitar and also sings.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Discus Throw Men
Benny / Dizzle
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 14th (discus) 2012 London - 9th (discus)
- 10th (discus) – 2015 World Championships (Beijing, CHN)
- 1st (discus) – 2015 World Swedish Championships (Söderhamn, Sweden)
- 3rd (discus) – 2015 London Anniversary Games GP (London, GBR)
- 6th (discus) – 2015 Stockholm Diamond League (Stockholm, SWE)
- 4th (discus) – 2014 Commonwealth games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Winning Commonwealth Games gold in Dehli, 2010
- Qualifying for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- Warners Bay High School (NSW, Australia)
- Bacherlor of Physical Education - Newcastle University (2006)
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Iceland & South America
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Audi R8
- Personal Motto
- It's better, but never good enough, because when it's good enough your career is over.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A day in Mongolia
- Ears pierced and two tattoos: citius, altius, fortius; (faster, higher, stronger) and Awake my Soul (song by Mumford & Sons)
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be