Born and raised in North Queensland, Ashleigh Southern began playing water polo in a local dam. She made her national debut in 2010 at the Longmont tournament in Sydney and immediately impressed, scoring a remarkable eight goals in a 10-8 victory over the USA.
Southern’s scoring prowess helped Australia claim silver at the 2010 World Cup and bronze at the 2011 World League Super Finals and by 2012 she was playing in every major tournament.
Southern made her Olympic debut at the London 2012 Games and was the youngest member of the women’s water polo team at 19. She helped Australia claim the bronze medal in a nail biting 13-11 victory over Hungary. She hopes to better her third place standings at her second Games in Rio.
In 2015 Southern spent a season in Europe playing for the Greek club Olympiacos, winning the final of the 2015 LEN Euroleague.
Fellow Stinger teammate Holly Lincoln-Smith is one of Southern’s most influential role models, and she attributes her sporting success partly to Holly’s training and guidance.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Water Polo Women
Ingham, QLD, Australia
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- 2012 London- 3rd (water polo)
- 2010 Sydney- Silver
- 3rd – 2016 FINA World League Super Final (Shanghai, China)
- 2nd – 2016 FINA World League Intercontinental Tournament (Texas, USA)
- 1st – 2015 Rio test event (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 2nd – 2015 FINA World League Super Final (Shanghai, China)
- 4th – 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Bronze Medal, London 2012 Olympics
- Silver Medal, World Championships 2013 Barcelona
- Cardwell Primary School (QLD, Australia)
- Gilroy Santa Maria College (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor Sports Managment- Griffith University (2013- present)
Greg McFadden (2010 - current)
Brisbane Barracudas, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
- I usually start some sort of superstition at the start of a tournament and carry it through to the end.
- Favourite food
- Acai Bowls
- Favourite holiday destination
- Greek Islands
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Range Rover Sport
- Personal Motto
- I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Coffee and Cupcakes
- Olympic Rings and Roman Numerals, Right ankle. Ears Pierced, 3 on each ear.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Beach Volleyball looks fun.
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Aussie Stingers London Campaign
- First Olympic Memory?
- First day experience in the food hall.