6’10” centre Aron Baynes experience against the world’s best will make him crucial component for Australia’s medal chances in Rio. Having now played over three years in the NBA, Baynes will line up for his second Olympic Games campaign in Rio.
Born in New Zealand, Baynes attended the AIS in 2005 before leaving later that year to join college team Washington State University Cougars where he made it to the NCAA 'Sweet 16' with the team. He signed with Lithuanian side Vilnius out of college in 2009 and soon after made his senior national debut.
Having impressed in stints in Germany and Greece, he lined up for Australia at the 2010 World Championships. He helped Australia claim the 2011 Oceania title to qualify for London 2012 and then he went on to make his Olympic debut. He scored 7.5 points and 3.3 rebounds in just over 12 minutes per game.
Baynes performances in Rio saw him secure a move to Slovenian side Union Olimpia Ljubljana where he played in the EuroLeague and was in the top 10 for points and rebounds despite his team getting knocked out of competition at the first group stage.
He joined fellow Australian Patty Mills at the San Antonio Spurs in early 2013 and was a part of their NBA Championship winning team in 2014. After increased minutes in the 2014-15 season he went on to sign with the Detroit Pistons where he helped the team return to the NBA playoffs in 2016 for the first time in seven seasons.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Gisborne, New Zealand
Cairns, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- Lost 4-0 – 2016 NBA Playoffs: Playing for Detroit Pistons vs Cleveland Cavaliers (Detroit & Cleveland, USA)
- 12th – 2014 World Cup (Spain)
- Won 4-1 – 2014 NBA Finals: Playing for San Antonio Spurs vs Miami Heat (San Antonio & Miami, USA)
- Playing at 2010 World Championships
- Playing at the London 2012 Olympics Games.
- Getting the chance to play for Australia at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- Mareeba State Primary (QLD, Australia)
- Mareeba State High School & Cairns State High School (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Kinesiology - Washington State University (2005 - 2009)
Andrej Lemanis (2013 - current)
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Any kind of Chops, Steak or Pasta
- Favourite holiday destination
- Somewhere with a beach and warm water
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- One that drives itself so I can sleep longer
- Personal Motto
- Pain lets you know you're alive.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be