Aran Zalewski is set to make his Olympic debut and will join his hockey teammates, who are on the hunt to for gold at Rio, fresh off winning the 2016 Champion’s Trophy.
The 25-year-old from Subiaco was named in the men’s hockey Olympic training squad in late 2015 and proved to be a strong force on the field, helping the team claim both the World League Semi-Final and Final titles.
The midfielder made his international debut in 2011 against India in his home state of Western Australia. Zalewski scored on debut, in the 57th minute, a moment he still marks as a career highlight. Ahead of the London Games, Zalewski was selected in the men's national Olympic development squad
Nick-named ‘Moose’, many of his Australian teammates believe Zalewski bleaches his hair before every tournament, a rumour which he denies, saying his messy hair is a naturally occurring style.
Off the pitch, Zalewski likes to spend time with his chocolate Labrador, Bailey and partner Teagan, and also enjoys playing hockey which his father, Wally at their local Margret River Hockey Club.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Subiaco, WA, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st – 2016 Champions Trophy (London, England)
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st - 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 1st – 2015 Oceania Cup (Stratford, New Zealand)
- 1st - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- World Cup gold 2014
- Comm games gold 2014
- Goal on debut 2011
- St Thomas Moore , WA, Australia
- Aquinas college (WA, Australia)
Graham Ried - 2014 current
Old Aquinas , Perth ,wa , Australia
Primary Training Base
- Left shin pad first
- Favourite food
- Raw tuna sushimi
- Favourite holiday destination
- Home - Margaret river The Maldives
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Range Rover Defender
- Personal Motto
- Work hard stay humble
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Sushi + coffee
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Lawn bowls
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Eric the eel
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2000 hockey live at homebush
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Mum & dad
- Why this sport?
- Family & passion