A reserve for the London 2012 Team, Anthony Dean has climbed into the top ten in the world to book his spot at his debut Olympic Games in Rio.
The South Australian product began competing when he was seven and after impressing in the National Series, he got his first chance at competing on the world circuit in 2013.
A rider on the rise, Dean was a force to be reckoned with in 2014 as he broke through to win his first World Cup medal with silver in Manchester. He went on finish the season as the second highest ranked rider in the World Cup standings.
Dean made the final of the 2014 World Championships but crashed out as teammate Sam Willoughby was crowned world champion. He backed up his break out year with a strong 2015 which included three World Cup top five results to put himself well in contention for a Rio berth.
Dean’s Olympic year couldn’t have started any worse when he snapped his collarbone in training in early January. After surgery he was back on his bike in a matter of weeks in time to compete at the opening World Cup event of 2016 in Argentina. He finished seventh there and then again at the Papendal World Cup before he bowed out in the semi-finals of the 2016 World Championships.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cycling - BMX
Adelaide, SA, Australia
San Diego, United States
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 14th - 2016 World Championships (Medellin, Colombia)
- 7th - 2016 World Cup 3 (Papendal, Netherlands)
- 8th - USA BMX Carolina Nationals (Rock Hill, USA)
- 26th - 2016 World Cup 1 (Santiago del Estero, Argentina)
- 8th - 2015 World Championships (Heusden-Zolder, Belgium)
- Finishing the 2014 season as the second highest ranked rider
- Qualifying for my first Olympic team for Rio.
- Making the final of both the 2014 and 2015 World Championships (crashed out in both and finished eighth)
- The Heights (SA, Australia)
Wade Bootes (2012 - current)
ChulaVista BMX - San Diego, California
SASI - AIS Gold Coast
Primary Training Base
San Diego, California
Secondary Training Base
- Put my racing goggles on right before I walk into the gate.
- Favourite food
- Beef BBQ Ribs
- Favourite holiday destination
- California, United States
- Favourite music
- The Game - Hip Hop
- Dream car
- Mclaren P1
- Personal Motto
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A book on how to survive with no money
- Too Many tattoos to list. All my tattoos are connected to each other and have a meaning of Family, sport and chasing my dreams.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Usain Bolt 2012
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2012 - Walking into the athlete village for the first time.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Sam Willoughby
- Why this sport?
- Grown up loving it