Andrew Charter will make his Olympic debut at Rio, hoping to impress defensively as the men’s hockey team’s goalie after recently helping the side claim their 14th Champions Trophy.
Charter accidently fell into the sport of hockey when he filled in for the U13 team his sister was coaching and has been in love with the sport ever since, choosing after only one year in the field to switch to goalie.
This Canberra boy made his International debut in 2010 at the Azlan Shah tournament, and went on to help the ‘Kookaburras’ win back-to-back Champions Trophies in 2011 and 2012. Charter has also secured a Commonwealth Games gold, World Cup Title and two Oceania titles during his career.
The 29-year-old proved he was determined to make his Olympic debut, helping the men’s side secure two gold medals at the World League semi-final and World League Final in 2015, before celebrating 100 international caps in 2016.
Off the field, Charter has a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and designed his own unique goalkeeping helmet which he debuted at the 2014 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup. The helmet is a bold standout with the ARCAN (Australian Rare Chromosome Awareness Network) logo adorning the back plate to help raise awareness for the organisation, of which ex kookaburra and assistant coach Nathan Eglington is a committee member.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia
Canberra, ACT, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st – 2016 Champions Trophy (London, England)
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st - 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 3rd – 2014 Champions Trophy (Bhubaneswar, India)
- 1st - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Saving a penalty stroke in my debut to keep us level in my debut game at Azlan Shah tournament, 2010
- Winning world cup gold against the dutch in front of their home crowd!
- Winning gold at the commonwealth games
- Southern Cross Primary (ACT, Australia)
- Dickson College (ACT, Australia)
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering - University of Western Australia
Ric Charlesworth (2011 - current)
ACT Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Thai or Indian
- Favourite holiday destination
- Anywhere sunny with a beach ie Gold Coast
- Favourite music
- Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Girl Talk, Hilltop Hoods
- Dream car
- Lamborghini Reventon
- Personal Motto
- I attempt to innovate and create, and strive for perfection in everything I do.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Eggs Benedict....
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Ice Hockey