Andrew Bogut will return to Olympic competition having missed out on the London 2012 Games due to a shoulder injury. Bogut was a key part of the Australian teams in Athens and Beijing that finished 9th and 7th respectively.
The seven footer began playing basketball in Melbourne before moving to Canberra where he attended the Australian Institute of Sport. He impressed on the international stage at the 2003 FIBA Under-19 World Championship when he led the Australian team to gold and was voted the MVP of the tournament.
After a stellar three years at Utah College, Bogut was the number one draft pick in the 2005 NBA draft where he was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks. After seven seasons with the side, which included leading the league in blocks in 2011, he was traded to the Golden State Warriors.
He helped the Oakland based side to their first NBA Championship in 40 years in 2015 when the Warriors defeated Bogut’s Australian teammate Matt Dellavedova’s Cleveland Cavaliers to be crowned NBA champions. He would return home to ensure Australia qualified for Rio by helping the side take out the 2015 Oceania Championships.
The Melburnian’s success continued in the 2015-16 season with the Warriors breaking the NBA regular seasons win record after finishing with 73 wins and just 9 losses. Bogut’s side again made the Finals but this time fell to Dellavedova’s Cavaliers in seven games. Shortly after the season he was traded to the Dallas Mavericks.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Mulgrave, VIC, Australia
Patterson Lakes, VIC, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 7th (basketball) 2004 Athens - 9th (basketball)
- Lost 4-3 – 2016 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs Cleveland Cavaliers (Oakland & Cleveland, USA)
- 1st – 2015 Oceania Championships (Melbourne & Wellington)
- Won 4-2 – 2015 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs Cleveland Cavaliers (Oakland & Cleveland, USA)
- 12th – 2014 World Cup (Spain)
- 1st – 2013 Oceania Championships (Canberra & Auckland)
- Winning the NBA Championship with the Golden State Warriors in 2015
- Setting the NBA record for most wins in a season with the Golden State Warriors in 2016
- Competing at both the Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 Olympic Games for Australia.
- Thomas Mitchel Primary School (VIC, Australia)
- Cleeland Secondary College (VIC, Australia)
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
Andrej Lemanis (2013 - current)
Dallas Mavericks, Texas, USA
Andrew Bogut Basketball Academy, Carrum Downs, Victoria, Australia.
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- I always tie my shoes with one hand.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Springvale, Australia.
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- 2001 Mitsubishi Magna
- Personal Motto
- Sometimes you are the bird, sometimes you are the statue.
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Dandee Donuts
- I have my name and star sign written on my right bicep
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- 1988 Jamaican Bobsled team
- First Olympic Memory?
- Greece not finishing the Village at my first Olympic games in 2004.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Memo Hatzidimitropoulos