Alicia Coutts secured selection on her third Olympic Team when she won the 200m individual medley at the trials in Adelaide. She was also 5th in the 100m freestyle final, after just missing in the 100m butterfly (3rd).
Coutts, coached by John Fowlie, became the star of Australia’s swim team at the London 2012 Games when she took home two individual (silver 200mIM, bronze 100m butterfly) and three relay medals (gold 4x100m, silver 4x200m, silver 4x100m Medley). That five medal haul matched Ian Thorpe and Shane Gould’s record of most medals at a single Olympics.
Coutts made her Olympic debut at the Beijing Games in 2008 where she was fifth in the 200m IM before winning five gold at the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games.
2015 was a year of ups and downs for the Canberra based athlete, first missing out on the 2015 World Championships Team in July but then marrying her husband, high school teacher Steve Hardy, in September. Her Olympic trials preparation was hampered by a left shoulder injury, which will never return to 100 per cent.
Winning 21 medals for Australia in major championships since 2008, she was awarded an Australia Day Order of Australia Medal (OAM) for her service to sport in 2014. She has previously announced that she will retire from competitive swimming after the Rio Olympic Games.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
200m Individual Medley Women
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Canberra, ACT, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 5th (200m individual medley) 2012 London - 1st (4x100m freestyle relay); 2nd (200m individual medley); 2nd (4x200m freestyle relay); 2nd (4x100m medley relay); 3rd (100m butterfly)
- 1st (200 IM) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 1st (200m IM) – 2016 Australian Open Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 3rd (100m butterfly) – 2016 Australian Open Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (200m IM) – 2016 NSW Open Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 1st (4x200m freestyle relay), 4th (100m butterfly) - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Great Britain)
- Placing 5th in the 200 Individual Medley at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- St Matthew's Cornubia (QLD, Australia)
- Chisholm College (QLD, Australia)
John Fowlie (2007 - current)
Primary Training Base
- I don't cut my nails before I race and I always do exactly the same routine.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Port Douglas
- Favourite music
- Top 40
- Dream car
- Personal Motto
- Success isn't final, failure isn't fatal, it's courage that counts
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Some yummy food
- 6 piercings - 5 in my ears, 1 in my belly button
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be