Young-gun Alexander Hill will make his Games debut at Rio, in a bid to help the London silver medal winning men’s four claim Olympic gold and glory.
Hill discovered the sport of rowing at 16-years-old at his high school, Prince Alfred College in Adelaide. Despite only being 23-years-old, Hill has over five years of international racing experience under his belt which began with a gold medal victory in the men’s four at the 2011 Junior World Championships in Eton
The boy from Loxton North, South Australia won two silver medals at the 2012 and 2013 U23 World Championships in the men’s eight and pair respectively. Hill also contested the senior World Championships in 2013, taking out the B final in the men’s eight.
Over the past two years, Hill has moved into the senior ranks and proved his strength by claiming two gold medals at World Rowing Cup 1 in 2014, including a victory in the men’s’ four over the reigning World Champions. In 2015, the Australian men’s four went on to claim the gold at the World Rowing Cup in Lucerne and silver at the 2015 World Championships in Aiguebelette, France.
Rio won’t be Hill’s first Olympic experience thought as the South Australian competed at the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival and was bestowed the honour of lighting the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Berri, SA, Australia
Loxton North, SA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 2nd – (M4-) 2015 World Rowing Championships (Aiguebelette, France)
- 1st – (M4-) 2015 World Rowing Cup III (Lucerne, Switzerland)
- 1st – (M8+) 2014 Sydney World Cup (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd – (BM2-) 2013 U23 World Championships (Linz, Austria)
- 2nd – (M4-) 2013 Sydney World Cup (Sydney, Australia)
- Loxton North Primary School, Loxton North, SA and St Albert's Catholic School, Loxton, SA
- Prince Alfred College, Adelaide, SA
Chris O'Brien (2016 - current)
Adelaide RC, South Australia, Australia
South Australian Institute of Sport and the Reinhold Batschi National Training Centre
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Dream car
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Farmers Union Iced Coffee
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Why this sport?
- I took rowing up at college and I just really enjoyed it