A youngster on the rise, Alanna Kennedy will offer coach Alen Stajcic plenty at Rio with the versatile 21-year-old able to play in both the defence and midfield.
Kennedy first lined up in the W-League in the 2010-11 season for Sydney FC and has since had stints at Newcastle Jets, Western Sydney Wanderers and the Perth Glory. In her time in the league she has reached the grand final four times, winning with Sydney FC in 2013.
After representing Australia at junior levels, she got her chance to make her senior debut in 2012 when she played against Trans-Tasman rivals in New Zealand. She would go on to line up in three of Australia’s five 2014 Asian Cup matches, including the final, where Australia finished as runners-up.
She was a crucial part of Australia’s history-making performance when on World Cup debut in 2015. After coming off the bench in their opening 3-1 defeat to the USA, Kennedy helped ensure the Australian side only conceded two goals in their next four matches as they won a knockout match for the first time at a World Cup when they beat Brazil 1-0 to progress to the quarter-finals.
Having impressed both in Australia and on the international scene, Kennedy signed her first overseas club contract with the Western New York Flash in the US in early 2016. She played in all but seven minutes of the side’s first nine matches.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Campbelltown, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st - Rio 2016 Olympic qualifiers (Japan)
- 1st – 2015/16 W-League Championship with Melbourne City
- 1st – 2015/16 W-League Premiership with Melbourne City
- 7th - 2015 World Cup (Canada)
- 2nd - 2014 Asian Cup (Japan)
- World Cup 2015 debut
- Being a part of the first Australian team to win a knockout round match at the World Cup
- Qualifying for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Rosemeadow Public School (NSW, Australia)
- Westfields Sport High School (NSW, Australia)
Alen Stajcic (2014 - current)
Sydney FC, WNY Flash
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Smashed avo and feta
- Favourite holiday destination
- Hawaii, Bahamas, Maldives
- Favourite music
- Acoustic, mellow
- Dream car
- Mercedes G series
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- My family
- Jersey number, scales of justice, sail boat and waves (visual analogy) and a few more
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- High jump
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman and Ian Thorpe
- First Olympic Memory?
- Ian Thorpe winning the 100m freestyle
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My family and coach Alen Stajcic
- Why this sport?
- Friendships and competition