Aaron Royle, nick-named “Bugs”, will make his Olympic debut at the Rio Games after he secured Australia’s first Triathlon quota spot having finished 6th at the 2015 Rio Test Event.
Royle grew up in Newcastle and was drawn to the sport after his parents forced him to choose between swimming and running, instead he added a bike leg and fell in love with triathlon.
In his first year on the senior Triathlon Australia Team, in 2012, Royle proved he was a force to be reckoned with after being crowned U23 World Champion.
Spending half his year in Wollongong, as part of the illustrious “Wollongong Wizards”, Royle trains alongside fellow selected Team member Ryan Bailie and two-time women’s World Champion Gwen Jorgenson.
The 25-year-old spends the remaining of the year in the Wizards training base in Vitoria, Spain, and makes frequent appearances on the ITU World Triathlon Series circuit.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Waratah, NSW, Australia
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 2008 Australia - 4th (triathlon)
- 13th - 2016 World Triathlon Series Gold Coast (Gold Coast, Australia)
- 2nd - 2016 OTU Triathlon Oceania Championships (Gisborne, New Zealand)
- 5th - 2016 OTU Sprint Triathlon Oceania Cup (Wollongong, Australia)
- 6th - 2015 Olympic Test Event (Rio de Janerio, Brazil)
- 7th - 2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final (Chicago, USA)
- Qualifying for the 2016 Games by finishing 6th at the Rio Test Event, 2015
- Getting my first 2015 podium at a World Triathlon Series, coming third in Stockholm
- Securing three back-to-back Nepean Triathlon Championships from 2013-15
- Maryland Public School (NSW, Australia)
- Wallsend High and Jesmond High School (NSW, Australia)
Jamie Turner (2004 - C\current)
Primary Training Base
Wollongong, Australian (primary)
Secondary Training Base
Vitoria, Spain (secondary)
- I always do the same run session the night before each race
- Favourite food
- Aussie BBQ, Thai food and chocolate
- Favourite holiday destination
- I have travelled too many places for sport so hard to pick one. French alps, Rio, Hamburg, Italy would be a few of my favorite cities
- Favourite music
- Aussie Hip Hop
- Dream car
- Not bothered! Honestly happy with my 2007 Suburu Forester
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Wizard hat tatt on my right buttocks and bugs bunny tatt on my left ribs
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- MTB'ing... I'm not very good at it but I love getting on the MTB in my off-season and pretending that I can
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Mens 4x100 freestyle relay 2000
- First Olympic Memory?
- Nagano 1998 Winter Olympics, I was 8 years old and I remember running around the playground at school pretending I was a speed skater
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Mum, Dad and my coach of 12 years Jamie Turner
- Why this sport?
- Read my AOC blog "So... Why triathlon" :-p